2 December 2023

Noelia Fernandez

Noelia Fernandez - Walther-Meißner-Institute

1. Briefly describe your current position, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am a postdoctoral researcher at the group of Prof. Stefan Filipp, at the Walther-Meißner-Institute. I joined his group to work in topics relevant to the fabrication of superconducting qubits. Within his team, I contribute insights to improving the quality of the interfaces between materials, which has a direct impact in the performance of superconducting qubits. Recently, I have obtained a Seed Funding from MCQST. This has been a great incentive for me to start exploring alternative research ideas within the group.

Female researcher preparing an experiment with liquid nitrogen. © M. Stampa / MQV

2. What current projects are you most excited about?

I am truly excited about the project I proposed for the Seed Funding, which is interdisciplinary and explorative. It aims at the fabrication of novel hybrid devices based on superconductors and quantum materials. The vision is that this combination will offer a platform for both fundamental research into quantum phenomena in solid-state devices and for technological advances in quantum information processing, by providing new elements for quantum computing.

This [MCQST Seed Funding] has been a great incentive for me to start exploring alternative research ideas within the group.

3. Are you cooking or baking anything for the holidays?

Yes, this year I want to join the German tradition of baking Plätzchen and I plan to add some Argentine ingredients to my recipes. In particular, "dulce de leche" (a milk caramel sweet). Although they are not something specific to the holiday season, I am also taking the chance to prepare "Alfajores de Maicena". They are a traditional Argentine pastry made of two biscuits with a dulce de leche filling and a border of coconut flakes. Truly delicious!

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top