16 December 2023

Franz da Silva

Franz von Silva-Tarouca -- PushQuantum

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am a student of the M.Sc. Quantum Science and Technology at TUM/LMU focusing on experimental quantum information processing. Currently, I am in the final stages of My Master's thesis in the Quantum Dynamics division of Prof. Gerhard Rempe at the Max-Planck-Institute of Quantum Optics. There, I am working on selectively controlling individual Rubidium atoms that are coupled to an optical resonator.

Outside my studies, I am president of the Munich-based student-led initiative PushQuantum e.V. is offering students from all disciplines real-world focused education in quantum technologies, spreading awareness for quantum and building a vibrant community of talented quantum enthusiasts.

16._Franz_da_Silva

2. What has been the biggest challenge in managing the PushQuantum initiative? And the biggest success? What are you most proud of?

Leading PushQuantum has been an incredible experience so far, and there are many things I could mention here.

One of the biggest challenges was establishing a vibrant and resilient community, especially since PushQuantum started during the COVID-19 pandemic. PushQuantum is run by volunteers, so having enough passionate contributing and finding a way to give something back to them can be challenging. We are still in the process of strengthening our community foundations, but the fact that we have come so far from just a handful of passionate students to a registered non-profit organization, involved in so many awesome projects is, in my opinion, a huge achievement and hence something I am very proud of.

A major milestone for us is our participation in the BMBF funded project Quantenträume. We are very proud to be a full partner in the project, alongside great established institutions such as the MCQST and the MPQ. Naturally, this participation also comes with its own challenges, but we look very much look tackling them and learning from it.

Generally, I can confidently say there is not a single PushQuantum project that I am not proud of, and I am excited for what the future brings!

We are still in the process of strengthening our community foundations, but the fact that we have come so far from just a handful of passionate students to a registered non-profit organization, involved in so many awesome projects is, in my opinion, a huge achievement and hence something I am very proud of.

3. Do you have any special or unique holiday traditions?

Two things come to mind, The first is that our family Christmas music playlist consists entirely of old-school rock songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s. The second is that on the 27th we have a "crime-dinner". Essentially, it's a game where each player dresses up and plays a character in a crime story. Only one character is the true killer. At the end, everyone votes on whom they suspect. If the killer managed to stay undetected, they win.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top