17 December 2022

Karina Houska

Karina Houska - Walter Schottky Institute, TUM

1. Briefly describe your current position/project and research focus.

I spent the last year at the Walter Schottky Institute working on my master's thesis, where we applied quantum sensing in materials research: By utilising nitrogen vacancy centers in diamond, we imaged the magnetic field of a van-der-Waals ferromagnet. I came into contact with MCQST on different occasions, for example through the MCQST mentoring program.

I also appreciated the meetings with my mentor a lot. [...] Through our dialogue, I gained a lot of insight, both on the physics side and on a more personal level. I encourage anyone interested to apply for the program!

17_WandernFoto

2. How was your experience in the mentoring program and with your mentor?

The mentoring program was a valuable addition to the research experience I gained over the last year. Meeting the other mentees and learning about their experiences was very enjoyable and allowed me to expand my horizon beyond my own research group. I also appreciated the meetings with my mentor a lot. She was super approachable, friendly, and helpful. Through our dialogue, I gained a lot of insight, both on the physics side and on a more personal level. I encourage anyone interested to apply for the program!

3. Are you cooking or baking anything for the holidays?

Definitely! I am probably going for some rather experimental takes (for science!) on holiday classics such as cheese fondue made from cashews or lentil meatloaf.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top