8 December 2023

Irene Sanchez Arribas

Irene Sanchez Arribas - Technical University Munich

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I just finished my PhD in the Nano and Quantum Sensors group led by Prof. Eva M. Weig. I worked studying the interaction of light and nanomechanical resonators (basically nano-drums), specifically when the light is confined in an optical cavity. You can learn more about it in the MCQST YouTube Series!

8._Screenshot_5

2. This year you were in a video for Quantum Minutes, MCQST's YouTube series explaining quantum topics for the public. What made you want to work on that video, and how was that experience like?

I really enjoy explaining science, be it in a classroom or in a bar during a science slam. Participating in the MCQST's Quantum Minutes series was a wonderful opportunity to do this in a format that was new to me. At the end, the experience was very rewarding - it's very challenging but worth it to break your research down into simpler words - and, of course, entertaining.

[Creating the Quantum Minutes video] was very rewarding - it's very challenging but worth it to break your research down into simpler words - and, of course, entertaining.

3. Do you have any special or unique holiday traditions?

In Spain, for New Year's Eve everyone gathers for dinner with their loved ones (family or/and friends). The special thing is that, after dinner, we turn on the TV and wait until midnight, where we all watch live the twelve strikes of the clock. With each strike, we eat one grape (yes, we have to eat them quite fast). If you go to Spain on that day, you will realize that the streets and pubs are empty until past midnight! So don't go out before that time.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top