5 December 2023

Syeda Aliya Batool

Syeda Aliya Batool - Walther-Meißner-Institute

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

In my current role, I am engaged in cutting-edge research as a researcher at WMI and simultaneously pursuing a Ph.D. I am primarily focused on the theory of open quantum systems, specifically delving into the realm of noise-resilient quantum state transfer. My work involves navigating challenging environments to achieve robust quantum state transfer, contributing to advancements in quantum communication.

In my previous research endeavors, I delved into closed quantum systems, exploring classical phenomena at the atomic level, such as the intriguing concept of EIG. Additionally, I conducted theoretical investigations into the transmission and amplification of acoustic waves through superconducting circuits.

Within the Munich Center for Quantum Science and Technology (MCQST), my role extends beyond research. I am actively involved in supporting the Women's Seminar, and always willing to provide assistance to women in science. I always want to create an environment where female colleagues feel empowered and can overcome any challenges they may encounter in the scientific realm. My multifaceted role allows me to contribute not only to groundbreaking research but also to the advancement of diversity and inclusion within the scientific community.

Portrait foto of female researcher wearing a head scarf.

2. What inspired you to pursue a career in science / in your discipline?

I find profound inspiration in challenging societal norms and breaking down barriers, particularly those that suggest that women are not suited for careers in science. In a society often dominated by a male-centric perspective, I recognized the prevalent belief that women may not thrive in scientific fields. This prevailing sentiment fueled my determination to prove these stereotypes wrong.

Motivated by the desire to dispel the notion that women cannot actively contribute to and excel in science, I consciously chose to pursue a career in this challenging and intellectually stimulating field. The adversity I faced growing up in an environment that discouraged women from entering scientific domains only intensified my commitment to making a meaningful impact.

My decision to embark on a career in science is not only a personal pursuit of knowledge and discovery, but also a deliberate effort to serve as a role model for others facing similar challenges. I am driven by the belief that by succeeding in the field of science, I can defy stereotypes, inspire positive change, and encourage individuals, especially women, to pursue their passions without constraint.

Every achievement, no matter how small, is a step towards dismantling the barriers that hinder the progress of women in science. I am constantly fueled by the thrill of achieving something significant, not just for myself, but for the broader community I represent. My journey in science is not merely about personal success; it is a purposeful endeavor to challenge societal norms, pave the way for future generations, and contribute to a more inclusive and diverse scientific landscape.

Every achievement, no matter how small, is a step towards dismantling the barriers that hinder the progress of women in science.

3. Do you have any special or unique holiday traditions?

Indeed, my holiday traditions are deeply rooted in the rich tapestry of Asian culture. One cherished and unique tradition that brings immense joy to my celebrations is the practice of cooking and sharing food. In our culture, the holiday season is not just a time for personal festivities, but an opportunity to foster a sense of community and togetherness.

A standout tradition involves inviting people from our society, irrespective of their economic backgrounds, to our home. The essence lies in embracing diversity and creating a warm, inclusive environment where everyone can partake in the festivities. The focus is not on wealth distinctions, but on the shared joy of coming together. Preparing and distributing food becomes a heartfelt gesture, symbolizing the spirit of unity and generosity. It's a tradition that goes beyond the conventional idea of holiday celebrations, emphasizing the importance of community, compassion, and the simple joy of sharing a meal with others.

This unique holiday tradition not only adds a distinctive flavor to our festivities but also serves as a reminder of the values that define our culture, a celebration of togetherness, kindness, and the joy that comes from sharing with others.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top