18 December 2023

Katharina Jarrah

Katharina Jarrah - Max Planck Institue of Quantum Optics

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I manage the PR and communications activities of the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics (MPQ), which is a key partner in the MCQST Excellence Cluster. My job is to create an authentic image of the institute for external and internal audiences – such as the general public, students, future PhD students, decision makers in politics and industry, the scientific community and all other people interested in quantum science, and also, very importantly, all the members and staff of MPQ. Our aim is for the MPQ to be seen in all its scientific excellence, its world-class research infrastructure, and great administrative and technical support.

Katharina_Jarrah_ Ⓒ Christoph Hohmann / MCQST

2. This year's Nobel Prize in Physics went to MPQ. And that on the Open House Day at the institute. What was the biggest challenge on that day? And how did you master it?

The 3rd of October 2023 was a very special day and one that I’ll probably never forget. Running an open house day (which was a first for me) while dealing with a crazy amount of press inquiries, and organizing a press conference on short notice with well over a thousand visitors in the house was quite a stress test. So many things could have gone wrong… but they didn’t, because – and this is what I felt most proud of that day – we had a fantastic team and team spirit at MPQ. EVERYONE gave their best to keep it all together, with excitement, dedication and a big smile. :)

I feel a lot of respect for people who dedicate their life and time to grow this collective body of human knowledge, and I am delighted that I can be a direct witness of scientific progress.

3. What inspired you to pursue a career at MPQ?

I’ve come to develop a deep respect and admiration for science, the scientific method, and its way of thinking. And I fell in love with physics in particular - which is a bit of a paradox given how much I ignored physics in school and was only was interested in languages and social subjects like history and politics. But as you get older, horizons widen, and I became really amazed by fundamental questions about the nature of our universe – and their profound philosophical implications. I feel a lot of respect for people who dedicate their life and time to grow this collective body of human knowledge, and I am delighted that I can be a direct witness of scientific progress. Also, the MPQ is a really cool bunch of very smart, very friendly and very passionate people!

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top