20 December 2023

Christian Pfleiderer

Christian Pfleiderer - Technical University of Munich

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am Professor for Experimental Physics at the Department of Physics of the School of Natural Sciences at TUM. In our research, we pursue the identification of novel electronic properties of bulk materials that are driven by quantum correlations. Our experimental methods comprise single crystal growth, measurements of transport and bulk properties under extreme conditions, neutron- and x-ray scattering, and microwave spectroscopy.

Prof. Christian Pfleider working on a cryostat © Astrid Eckert / TUM

2. You are also involved in many projects supporting young researchers. Why do you think this is important?

I enjoy to support young researchers in finding “their thing”. Also, the enthusiasm and creativity of the young researchers are central to the success, impact, and sustainability of the research we pursue.

The enthusiasm and creativity of the young researchers are central to the success, impact, and sustainability of the research we pursue.

3. What do you find most fascinating about your research?

For me, the most exciting aspect of research on real materials is the potential for generic discovery, i.e., the identification of materials' properties not expected or anticipated before. I find the moment of realization of having identified a completely new facet of nature both extremely exciting and profoundly dignifying.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top