1 December 2022

Amanda Young

Amanda Young - TUM

1. Briefly describe your current position, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am a postdoctoral researcher in the group of Simone Warzel at the TUM Mathematics Department. My research focus is in mathematical physics and considers questions related to classifying quantum phases of matter. For my first two years in Munich, I was an MCQST Distinguished Postdoc.

Amanda Young sitting on a window bench inside the LMU Physics builduing. © C. Hohmann / MCQST

2. What current projects are you most excited about?

Since joining MCQST, I have been working with Simone on spectral questions for fractional quantum Hall systems. As we've worked on this project, we have encountered interesting and difficult challenges, which always feels rewarding to overcome. Now that in person interactions are once again possible, I'm really excited that we can start to have more collaborators come visit, which makes for a very dynamical atmosphere. This is something I was really looking forward to as being part of the MCQST community.

Now that in person interactions are once again possible, I'm really excited that we can start to have more collaborators come visit, which makes for a very dynamical atmosphere.

3. What are your plans for the holidays?

My husband and I are going to stay in Munich for Christmas this year. This is our last year living in Europe, and we are really excited to experience a German Christmas - especially the Christmas markets. I also enjoy baking, so I'm hoping to pick up a few Weihnachtsplätzchen recipes this year. Please feel free to send me your favorites!

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top