6 December 2023

Katharina Stuhrberg

Katharina Stuhrberg - Deutsches Museum

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am working as a curator trainee at the Deutsches Museum. We are planning the exhibition Light and Matter about quantum physics, lasers, and their history and thereby function as outreach partner of the MCQST. As part of the curator team, I am involved in the planning, especially concerning the content and objects of the exhibition.

6_Katharina_Stuhrberg

2. What is your favorite part of the upcoming exhibition "Light & Matter"? What are you looking forward to most?

If I have to decide on one favorite part of the exhibition – which isn't easy at all, because everything is awesome of course ;) – it would be the Szenoramas, which actually makes it six parts, as we have six of them planned. A Szenorama is an extension of a diorama - a three-dimensional model of a scene. The difference in a Szenorama is that we do not show a single scene, but instead combine three-dimensional models, texts, images, and an historical object in three-dimensional space to tell a story not anchored to a single scene but showing the many aspects and parts that come together.

I really like the combination of artistic design, and craftsmanship, with story telling and the scientific as well as historic background all put together.

You just have to see it to really know what I mean, so best come to the exhibition once it has opened.

Now to the second part of the question. What I am looking forward to the most is the opening of our exhibition in June and seeing people trying our demonstrations, looking at and enjoying our exhibition, and hopefully leaving not only with more knowledge, but most importantly more curious and excited about quantum physics, optics, history and the world itself.

What I am looking forward to the most [...] is seeing people trying our demonstrations, looking at and enjoying our exhibition and hopefully leaving not only with more knowledge, but most importantly more curious and excited about quantum physics, optics, history and the world itself.

3. Are you cooking or baking anything for the holidays?

I always bake Christmas cookies, and I already did bake some for this year and might be baking some more if they don't last until Christmas arrives. And of course, there will be awesome food on Christmas, though I will not be the one doing the cooking.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top