3 December 2023

Beatriz Dias

Beatriz Dias - Technical University of Munich

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am currently pursuing my doctoral studies within the "Quantum Information Theory" group at the Department of Mathematics, Technical University of Munich, under the supervision of Prof. Robert König. Our recent research has focused on the advancement of classical algorithms designed for simulating specific quantum processes. While quantum processes, in general, are challenging to simulate efficiently using classical methods, we've been exploring specific classes of quantum computations that can still be handled effectively through classical simulation.

Female researchers smilling at the camera. © C. Hohmann / MCQST

2. Your work has been featured in an article in Quanta Magazine mentioning that you worked on reformulating mathematical ways of measuring "magic". Could you explain what magic means, in this context and how can mathematics help measure it?

Some quantum computations can be easily carried out on a regular computer, like your laptop. The term "magic" is used to describe a quality of certain elements added to a quantum computation making it more powerful yet trickier to simulate. For instance, by introducing specific gates to a particular circuit, we can make it "more quantum". We call such gates "magic gates". Various metrics help us measure this "magicness," and we can express and explore them using mathematical methods.

3. Do you have any special or unique holiday traditions?

I just like to spend the holiday with family and friends while eating good food.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top