15 December 2023

Judith Gabel

Judith Gabel - QL3 – Quantum LifeLong Learning

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I work on the quantum lifelong learning (QL3) project, a joint project of the two Munich universities. In our project, we develop courses about quantum technologies for professionals in industry. We offer courses for a broad spectrum of learners, ranging from managers and leaders lacking a technical background to quantum experts seeking an introduction to fault-tolerant quantum computing. I like working with different target groups and enjoy the challenge of developing teaching concepts for this often-abstract topic and making quantum science more tangible and more readily understandable.

People sitting in a worshop room, following the explanations of presenter Judith Gabel. © MQV | M.Stampa

2. You are very active in various outreach projects, like Forscha, World of Quantum, and Soapbox Science, to name a few. What is your favorite format and why?

This year, I liked the Soapbox Science format best. This unique science communication event occurred on a Saturday afternoon in Munich's pedestrian zone. Scientists on soapboxes deliver short and engaging talks about their respective fields. The concept aims to reach individuals who might not typically attend science events, but are casually out shopping or strolling. The direct engagement with the public in a casual setting contributes to breaking down barriers between science and everyday life. Additionally, the fact that this event features purely female scientists powerfully demonstrates the openness of scientific exploration to everyone, regardless of gender.

The direct engagement with the public in a casual setting contributes to breaking down barriers between science and everyday life.

3. Do you have any special or unique holiday traditions?

I learned to play the organ during my physics studies and always play a service over the festive season. It’s very nice to play the traditional Christmas songs and have a congregation of around 200 people singing along with you. I am particularly looking forward to playing ‘O du fröhliche’, a well-known and well-liked German Christmas song, where everyone can join in the singing.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top