The Diversity in Leadership Program is specially designed for future leaders in Quantum Science and Technology within academia and outside. The program aims to evoke questions and provoke a process of finding one’s own values and style of leadership in the context of a diverse work environment. Moreover, the program enables and encourages participants to take on an active role in creating and sustaining a culture of awareness and a work place that welcomes everyone.
The program is based on understanding the team dynamics and how leadership can shape these dynamics. Becoming aware of unconscious bias and power structures within teams and groups form the basis of this training. Introductions to active bystander training, conflict management, leadership and mental health and hands-on training in gender issues in the field of physics highlight aspects of leadership and tools of implementing one’s own path to leadership.
Trainings and courses
The program combines half-day workshops and lunch talks. It contains the following structure:
Mandatory half-day courses
- Unconscious bias training - 7th Feb. 2020: 12:00-17:00 in room H522, Schellingstr. 4., LMU
- Active Bystander Training - 23.03.2020: 9:00-13:00 hrs at MPQ in Room B040/41 (postponed due to Corona)
- Intercultural / diversity competence - 16.03.2020 |12:00-14:00 - Mathmatics Buidling TUM, Boltzmannstr. 3, Room 00.10.011 (postponed due to Corona)
- Reflections on leadership, values, and health - 21.04.2020
- Gender in Physics - 29.06.2020 | 13:15-14:45 (online)
- Conflict management and mediation - 16.07.2020 | 14:00-16:30 (online)
In order to complete the program, you must attend the mandatory courses as well as three out of four lunch talks.
Acknowledgement and Certificate
Diversity in Leadership courses can be recognized as soft skill courses at IMPRS-QST.
If your institution or graduate school asks for soft skill courses as part of your PhD program and you would like to inquire whether Diversity in Leadership courses can be acknowledge as part of your program, let us know and we will get in touch with your institution.
Furthermore, every participant will gain a certificate after the completion of the program.
How to Apply?
To apply for the MCQST Diversity in Leadership Program, please send us the following documents:
- Letter of Motivation (1 page)
- List of Publications
Application: applications for 2020 are now closed. Applicants will be informed the outcome of their application by 13th December 2019.
The next round of applications will take place in fall 2021.
Please send your full application to Barbara Tautz via email at barbara.tautz[at]physik.uni-muenchen.de
Please note: Participation is only possible for MCQST members.