21 December 2022

Christian Schilling

Christian Schilling - LMU München

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am an Emmy-Noether group leader at the Arnold Sommerfeld Center at LMU Munich. Our research is concerned with the interface of quantum information theory and quantum many-body physics, particularly quantum chemistry. We resort to analytic approaches complemented and guided by computational studies to gain universal insights into interacting quantum many-body systems.

Christian Schilling

2. What current projects are you most excited about?

In one of our recent research endeavours we are using tools from quantum information theory to develop a comprehensive foundation for functional theories. Our approach based on the beautiful geometric picture of quantum states allowed us to reveal a number of surprising fundamental results. For instance, we could translate the fermionic exchange symmetry into a repulsive force and discovered a generalization of Pauli’s exclusion principle, valid also for bosons.

3. What does a typical work day look like for you?

I typically start with a cup of very good coffee, checking out the quantum physics arXiv and doing some calculations with pencil and paper. During the afternoon I meet my group members and collaborators for discussions, while in the evening I continue with my calculations or work on manuscripts.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top