20 December 2022

Johanna Jochum

Johanna Jochum - Research Neutron Source Heinz Maier-Leibnitz, TUM

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am an instrument scientist at the neutron spectrometer RESEDA at the research neutron source here in Garching. RESEDA is uniquely suited to study quantum phase transitions, magnetism and critical fluctuations with highest energy resolution. My role is to keep RESEDA in working conditions and to develop it further to push its capabilities beyond what is possible today.

Besides instrument development my current research focuses on the phase transitions in MnSi.

Johanna Jochum working on RASEDA - the resonant neutron spin echo spectrometer at the Research Neutron Source Heinz Maier-Leibnitz, TUM. © J. Greune / MCQST

2. You are very active in science communication and outreach. Why is this important to you?

Like many other researchers within MCQST my research focuses on fundamental science, which is rather tricky to communicate to the general public (and of course also the politicians involved in approving grants). I find it immensely important to communicate the relevance of fundamental science, since the materials we investigate today might be the foundation of the devices built 50 years from now, we just don’t know it yet.

I find it immensely important to communicate the relevance of fundamental science, since the materials we investigate today might be the foundation of the devices built 50 years from now, we just don’t know it yet.

3. What are your plans for the holidays?

Every year for the holidays I drive home to see my family in Austria, no matter where I am currently living. Christmas means family to me, and I am already looking forward to decorating the tree with my dad, and spending a few peaceful days with my family.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top