2 December 2022

Alexander Högele

Alexander Högele - LMU München

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

My research as core PI in MCQST is mainly embedded in the research unit Quantum Materials, where my group aims at realizing and understanding novel materials based on layered semiconductors, heterostructures, and hybrid semiconductor-cavity systems with emergent quantum phenomena.

Alexander Högele © C. Hohmann (LMU)

2. What current projects are you most excited about?

Recently, I'm most excited about our semiconductor heterostructures showing correlated electron physics and emergent magnetism in moiré lattices. Remarkably, the experiments are supported by reasonably high temperatures of 4K and materials without any overhead of high-end synthesis like molecular beam epitaxy. Andre Geim eventually referred to graphene as "black hole in a pencil"; what we have now in our labs are quantum materials from a scotch tape.

3. What are your plans for the holidays?

I enjoy snowboarding in the winter and camping in the summer, ideally with my family and an combination with kiteboarding when the elements of wind, water, and sun come together for a fun ride.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top