15 December 2022

Sabine Jansen

Sabine Jansen - LMU München

1. Briefly describe your current position/project, research focus, and your role within MCQST.

I am a professor in the probability group in mathematics at LMU and a member of RU-A within MCQST. My research focus is in statistical mechanics, more concretely non-lattice systems, mostly equilibrium. This involves the theory of infinite-volume Gibbs measures, large deviations theory, point processes, Markov processes. A big chunk of it is actually classical, but thanks to Feynman-Kac formulas, the quantum world is never far away.

Sabine Jansen © MFO

2. What does a typical work day look like for you?

I try to have quiet work time before lunch - research, teaching prep, refereeing - and schedule seminars and meetings (admin, students, coauthors) for the afternoon. I admire colleagues who switch easily between deep concentration and bursts of doing many small things. That's definitely not me, though I'm slowly getting better at it.

3. What are your plans for the holidays?

For me, the most important holiday gift is time - I look forward to an extended stay in my home city to reconnect with family and longtime friends, without the usual rush of cramming everyone in during short weekend visits.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top