22 December 2020

Nadezhda Kukharchyk

Dr. Nadezhda Kukharchyk - Walther Meißner Institute

Briefly describe your current position and role within MCQST.

I am a PostDoc researcher at Walther-Meißner-Institut and MCQST START fellow. My project “Implementation of optical approaches in microwave quantum memory systems” is funded by MCQST within the Junior Researcher START Fellowship program.

Nadezhda Kukharchyk in her laboratory standing behind an open cryostat. © Nadezhda Kukharchyk

How does a typical workday look like for you?

As I have just started, I am still on the way of setting down the routine. Typically, I am at the office at 8:30 and start my day with checking new emails, answering some of the new and some of the old ones. Then comes lab-related work, setting the experiments, discussion with colleagues. If not every day, then in a day I have Zoom-meetings or talks to attend. My day at the Walther-Meißner-Institute (WMI) ends around five, when I am often being caught at the door for some short discussions.

What was the biggest challenge you faced this year?

Hardest this year was dealing with a number of issues together: starting a new position Walther-Meißner-Institute and moving to Munich, handing in the old lab to a new group and during this not being able to take a holiday to visit my family due to pandemic restrictions and complicated electoral processes.

I am very excited by tasks of setting a new experiment, building a small team, working on the project, and deploying the initial plans and ideas and expanding them to reach the project’s goals.

What does being a START fellow mean to you?

Being a START fellow means an opportunity to take responsibility of my own research project and guiding students along it. I am very excited by tasks of setting a new experiment, building a small team, working on the project, and deploying the initial plans and ideas and expanding them to reach the project’s goals.

Accept privacy?

Scroll to top